Saturday, April 11, 2009

I had the chance to enjoy a stoggie with my good friend Skeeter in the AC. It was a bit cold but the BBQ and the great cigars helped warm us up. Looking at the picture a very lucky few will recognize the cigar. Although this does bear the same name, it is not the same Black Dragon that premiered at $1150 per stick, this is part of the 2007 remake. But I wish it was!!! (I don't think I have a pallet yet that could discern a $1000 quality cigar. I don't think anyone can. But if anyone wants to donate one to me, I would not mind seeing if I am wrong...)

Anyways, back to the review. This version of the Black Dragon does not boast rare tobaccos from the four corners of the world, but it does provide an excellent blend of a Nicaraguan, Pervuvian fillers, Dominican binder, and a tasty Cameroon wrapper. Much like coffee can be categorized as rich due to its strong, not powerful coffee bean taste, the Black Dragon has a rich tobacco taste. It is not peppery or spicy, but best described as creamy. It is almost as if my tongue was swimming in fresh tobacco, ripe and ready for wrapping. As you can tell from the before and after pictures, I wanted to enjoy every centimeter of this masterpiece. (The burns my fingers suffered due to smoking it down this far was well worth the pain.) I have always loved Gurkha and I always will. This creation will not disappoint. I have read other reviews for this cigar and some say that it is not worth the price. I doubt there are many things in the $12-$15 range that will be just as rich, creamy, smooth and will last an easy one and a half to to hours. If you know of one, please let me know. I'll make a blog about that.

The smoke was plentiful, the burn we even, the ash was powdery white, and the after taste was non-existent.  There is only one thing that would have made this cigar better, another Black Dragon attached to the end of it. (But the Filet Mignon wrapped in bacon you see in the picture was not a bad second choice.) Thanks Mark for giving me this for my birthday. You are a friend, a gentlemen, and a great cigar aficionado. Wish you were there to enjoy it with me.

1 comments:

wiccyg said...

Thanks for the review. I found the Black Dragon Imperial Presidente every bit as good as you said it was. The only thing I would disagree with is smoking it down to the last bit. I found the last inch or two to be a little bit sour, but the first 2/3 was heavenly. My fave is a Cohiba (cuban) and this was almost or just as good. I will be ordering more. Fantastic cigar for the $$$